Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

100

Part 10 of Film Wars Conclusion: Sunset Boulevard vs. Mulholland Drive.

My formal introduction to David Lynch, and one of the most mind boggling and yet most beautiful experiences I've had with cinema.

Pros:
(I'm gonna be vague as possible, because this is a film in which it is best you know nothing.)
-That opening. A jitterbug dance is already terrifying to me, so that is truly where the nightmare begins. Viewing after viewing.
-Peter Deming's cinematography gives me life in this and Twin Peaks: the Return (which I still need to finish.)
-Angelo Badalamenti's score is haunting and adds to the unsettling nature of the film. His cameo is great too.
-Naomi Watts, Laura Harring, and Jason Theroux are spectacular in this.
-No other director can handle people singing or the reactions to people singing like David Lynch.
-The mystery here is at times confounding, surreal, and truly mind blowing. Thoughts of this film keep me up at night.
-Speaking of which, this is one of my most top favorite films of all time so it contains some of the best scenes I've ever seen. One of which is at the Club Silencio. Placement of this film may surprise you. (List is still a work in progress at the moment though.)
-I don't want to say too much other than I have to finish Twin Peaks: The Return sooner rather than later.

Cons:
-This film is a mix of love it or hate it, too weird/confusing for certain audiences, or just plain strange for most to enjoy. It is a flawless masterpiece to me, but I can see how it wouldn't be for others.

Winner: Mulholland Dr.