Fast & Furious 6

Fast & Furious 6 ★★★

The evolution of the Fast/Furious franchise from street racing shenanigans to Bourne-inspired shooty-fighty thriller business – and even a hint of Hitchcock, with this flick's preposterous amnesia storyline – was probably a necessary one, to keep things fresh six films deep, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. The addition of former MMA fighter Gina Carano to the mix, and the relocation to a cor-blimey-guvnor facsimile of London, takes it even further away from its high-octane roots.

And I kind of miss the cars, to be honest, especially in a film that spaces out its meagre share of road-rage set pieces across more than two hours. Justin Lin's third effort in the series is certainly slick and composed, like Michael Bay with visual restraint; the acting's improved, too, with an easy camaraderie among the leads. But a more judicious edit at any stage of the process – starting with the convoluted, digressive screenplay – would not have gone amiss. And yet, its ridiculousness did win me over by the final act.