Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★★★

You son of a bitch, I’m undead.

I’m going to preface this with the fact that I’m never not going to enjoy the premise of a zombie heist movie. Army of the Dead has everything I most love about Snyder: immoderate style and throwback needle drops that shouldn’t but nonetheless leave me grinning like an idiot. Clunky to start, and perhaps lingers too long towards the end (surprise, surprise), but once again, everyone is wrong but me; it’s perfectly fine.

“Kind of patriotic, if you think about it.”

Supporting cast roll call: First and foremost, thank you to Mr. Hiroyuki Sanada for saving dumb action movies in 2021.

THE NOISE I MADE WHEN LOOKING’S RAÚL CASTILLO WALKED ON SCREEN. Tig Notaro is the best decision any studio’s ever made, and Matthias Schweighöfer is like a Germanic Cillian Murphy, which doesn’t really contribute anything to the discussion but bears repeating imo. Loved, loved his bromance arc with Omari Hardwick, who I want to see more of!

“Let me just look at you.”

There’s been some detraction re: the father/daughter storyline, but honestly, I think we can cut the man some slack. Dave Bautista clearly understood the assignment, and there’s some dialogue in the penultimate scene that justifies the entire saga, at least in my mind.

Look, I hate Snyderbros as much as the next guy, but let’s not throw the zombie baby out with the toxic bathwater. The movie is as advertised; if you didn’t like it, that’s kind of on you at this point, is it not? This is pretty much the quintessential Zack flick, and I’m frankly done with folks bitching about harmless content they knew they wouldn’t rate. An extra star because fuck those nerds.

Maddie liked these reviews