Knives Out ★★★★★

Here’s another rather short review, I’ll be going over very general concepts in an effort to avoid spoiling details from the film. It is a mystery, after all.

I’m very excited to write about this film, as I feel I found more enjoyment out of it than some other moviegoers.

Knives Out is going to be a strong contender for my personal Top Film of 2019. A wealth of fantastic performances fill the 130 minute runtime of this masterpiece of whodunnit writing.

The meticulous attention to detail in every shot and sentence is admirable to say the very least, and the visual style that Rian Johnson was able to give this film was reminiscent of, unsurprisingly, the game “Clue”.

The pacing of the film was also nearly perfect, as there was always a new question introduced at the end of every scene. This made every scene feel tightly knit together, driving the narrative forward at a very comfortable pace. I’m shocked this film is as short as it is, simply because of how much truly happens in it.

The script, as I mentioned before, is a masterpiece. Effectively every detail that the viewer may or may not take note of eventually finds its way into a later point in the film. Little to none of the information introduced in the film is truly unnecessary. This makes watching the progression of the mystery incredibly satisfying, and more attentive viewers will be rewarded for noticing seemly inconsequential details. Even with all of this, the script still finds natural places for great humor.

All in all, what I can say above all else is that this film is just so much fun. Every actor gave performances which ranged from solid to spectacular. The script was fantastic. The film was visually and stylistically interesting. This is exactly what I wanted it to be and so much more. I cannot wait to see what’s next on the table for Rian Johnson and what Knives Out could mean for the future of the whodunnit/mystery genre.

5 Stars.