Raiders of the Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark ★★★★★

1981 In Review - June
#7

Dr. Indiana Jones, a renowned archeologist and expert in the occult, is hired by the U.S. Government to find the ark of the covenant, which is believed to still hold the Ten Commandments. Unfortunately, Hitler's agents are also after the ark. Indy and his ex-flame Marion escape from various close scrapes in a quest that takes them from Nepal to Cairo.

My first encounter with Raiders was from the Marvel Star Wars comic weekly. All kinds of movies ended up being adapted into a comic strip, but I didn’t end up watching the actual movie until 1985, my dad, for some reason thought it was inappropriate for an 8 year old, so I actually ended up watching Temple of Doom before Raiders.
For me , Raiders of the Lost Ark is a perfect movie. Every single aspect of the movie is just amazing. Everybody involved in the making of the movie brought their very best. Harrison Ford has never been better, better here than in Star Wars. It ranks alongside one of Spielberg’s best movies and that score by John Williams is so iconic and thrilling. Everything from the script to the cinematography to the stunts is exemplary.
It’s a timeless classic that is forty years old this week, and it will still be timeless in another forty years.

Michael501 📺 liked these reviews