Ghostbusters ★★★★

Hey, guess what? It's nothing like the trailers. It's actually funny, actually scary, and, because there isn't a bottom half to read under a movie, it's 100% dickhead proof.

The one thing that nobody seemed to actually buy ahead of this was that it could be both a remake and a passing of the torch. It turns out that it's both of those things and while it certainly bows to the original as much as, say, The Force Awakens does to the original Star Wars trilogy, it's not torn by its fixation in that direction, even as the original principals line up around the block to endorse it. It's hard to fathom how anyone who loves the original couldn't be at least a little charmed by it.

I already liked all of the people involved in this, but for many of them, chiefly Paul Feig and Melissa McCarthy, it's also my favourite thing they've ever done, picking up where they left off on Spy by doing more of the kind of stuff we haven't seen them do before. Meanwhile, Kristen Wiig is the comic foil that wraps all of the other characters' lunacy together, from Leslie Jones' sheer enthusiasm to Kate McKinnon's star-making puckishness.

It starts very strong and doesn't end quite as well (bar a really badass moment for both McKinnon and composer Theodore Shapiro), but everything in the middle is loads of fun. It gets 4 stars mostly because I came out of the cinema with the biggest, stupidest grin on my face and because I'm already dying to see another Ghostbusters II with this cast and crew.

Mark liked these reviews