Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb ★★★★★

Strangelove is a character of infinite importance to me. Bound to his wheelchair as a fractured spectacle, the good doctor fascinates me on every conceivable level. His physicality is a marvel, a ghastly sensation. Strangelove comes complete with a gloved and vicious right hand that refuses to yield to the aggression of the naked other. His gloved hand is crippled in a mangled, defiant Nazi salute. Strangelove actually has to beat himself into submission, making for some of the most perfect cinema I have ever seen. Dr. Strangelove is a character that has come to define the medium for me. The doctor looks like a movie monster and he sounds like one too. His long stretches of sinister soliloquies are delivered to the manic tune of a Wagnerian ballet as performed by seizing epileptics. He is purely evil and savagely entertaining. His face, his image, his presence, and his grin are the ways that I have come to define film. In his face, I can see every performance that calmed, ravaged, and moved me. In Strangelove's still image, I can see the eternity of movie magic at its wild-eyed best. In his presence, I can sense the blackest depths of humor and tragedy. And as for his grin, that's where the indescribability of true art is hosted. In the character of Strangelove, I can see the future.

Dr. Strangelove is film's greatest farce. The humor is pitch black and irreverent. It takes the paranoia of the Cold War Era and presents a worst case scenario à la lampoon. Dr. Strangelove taught the '60s how to love the bomb. The film's tone is a duplicitous one. It's an absurdist take on a serious issue. In a word, it's gorgeous. Had Camus been a satirist even he couldn't have come up with something this authentically absurd. Dr. Strangelove scores big time. The film's like rocket fuel. My stomach is killing me right now because I was laughing so hard. You can feel the comedy of Dr. Strangelove in your guts. It's a palpable hysteria that makes you feel glad to be among the living. Dr. Strangelove is one of the most perfect films ever made. And film's greatest farce may just save your life.

Stanley Kubrick is a myth... but Dr. Strangelove is a LEGEND. It is a film that is actually bigger than the man.

And thanks to Kubrick's keen visual eye the film looks superb. Kubrick's very best black and white photography can be found in Dr. Strangelove. It is a thematically multi-layered film with a dynamic visual rhythm. The film is impeccably sound. It is indescribably immaculate. For all its technical successes, Kubrick had far greater goals than making a visually impressive film. He was determined to make a culturally significant one. The world around him was sick with fear. Kubrick knew just the right doctor to call.

Peter Sellers is an immaculate performer. His timing is ineffable and he never misses a beat. He brought a uniqueness to all three of his characters and operated as the film's driving force. If Kubrick is a myth, then Sellers is pure folklore. His performances were all about momentum and rhythm. In Dr. Strangelove, Sellers transcends. George C. Scott's performance, on the other hand, was all about the big board. Scott was perfect in the film and a real rush of good emotions were felt because of him. I thought he was excellent and provided the film with a true American rationale. Slim Pickens was also fantastic. He reminds me of my college humanities professor, a person I can also easily imagine straddling a warhead.

Dr. Strangelove is a very wise teacher. It is a film that has taught me to accept my ridiculous fate. It taught me that the one true quality of the world, that the secret of the universe, that the very meaning of life -- is nothing without a good punchline. Global politics is bad theater as acted out by high school sensibilities. Life in the modern nuclear age is an absurd reality. Death in the nuclear age is an absurd realization. Dr. Strangelove taught me how to let go of what I can't possibly control. Learning how to love the bomb saved my life, I can say that that honestly. Thanks, Stanley.

It is a film that was captured perfectly, cast perfectly, and written perfectly. It's a film that's perfectly perfect and I don't care how un-academic that may have sounded. There's no room for ostentation in a Dr. Strangelove review, just pure and absurd truths.

It doesn't matter which way you look at Dr. Strangelove, it is a flawless, miraculous movie treasure. There is absolutely nothing about this very smart, very funny, and very astute film that doesn't ooze excellence. In 1964, it was a game-changer. Now in 2015, it's a life-changer. Dr. Strangelove is art at its most affectionate and culturally significant. You don't save lives through drama. You save lives with comedy. The world is an absurd place and all of the constructs inside of it were based on an absurd reasoning. Once you're taught the beauty of absurdity, there isn't a single problem you won't be able to laugh at. Sometimes laughing's the only thing you can do. When you joke about something serious, something serious is taken away from it. We all have these fears inside of us, these ultimate truths, and we have to chip away at them in order to lead a happy life. No one deserves to live in fear of the bomb, whatever that may be for you personally. No one deserves to live with a fear like that. Kubrick's got a plan though, so don't worry. He knows this doctor and he's really great. He's kind of a Nazi but he's okay about it. I went to him and now I'm in love with all my big bombs. I'm in love with my failing health, with my eventual death, with the idea of a nuclear holocaust, and even with the idea of perpetual loneliness. All of these things were bombs to me. And they still are. Only now I'm not afraid of them anymore. I love each and every one of them. I love them all.

MadZack liked these reviews