Avengers: Endgame ★★★★½

I went into this movie pretty cynical. I thought there’s no way they manage to satisfy the expectations of 20+ films. I thought, well here’s the obligatory three hour slog.

It did not slog. It was satisfying. Sure, like 99% of time travel movies, the timeline can be picked apart. (Did the Avengers fail in 13.99M other timelines?) But hey, also in comic book movies no one is ever really dead. Black Widow is getting a movie in the next phase (a prequel?). If anything, they killed surprisingly few characters.

What this satisfies was a conclusion to the RDJr Tony Stark Saga. There have been hints from the get go that he would have to make the ultimate sacrifice. Raising the stakes with a happy lake house family was so dramatically potent. Tony’s death as well as several other moments gave me that catharsis that is rarely achieved in many films, least of all the superhero ones.

Kudos to Jon Favreau, Kevin Feige and all the other people who have pulled off a multi-film saga in an audacious and never-before done way.

The future (in this Berenstain timeline, at least) will have infinite extended universe imitators. But we can already see from the wreckage of the others who have tried fast fashion knockoffs of the Marvel formula: it ain’t so easy.

Had they made all their movies and not stuck the landing, dayenu, it would have been enough. But they did, thank Thor. I loved it 3000.