London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony: Isles of Wonder ★★★★½

This was repeated on BBC3 last night to celebrate the one year anniversary of the opening of the 2012 Games. Purporting to be Danny Boyle's director's cut, I'm still in awe of what he achieved - it was a superb celebration of our culture and a truly defining spectacle for our generation.

However, watching again one year on it's time perhaps to look at what didn't work, many issues of which can't really be laid at Boyle's door and which still remain despite this 'cut'

1) The inane wittering from the BBC commentators. The trio can be summed up thus; Trevor Nelson - pointless, Hazel Irvine - embarrassingly unfunny and irritating comments referencing all sorts of bizarre obscure points of absolutely no interest, Huw Edwards - unable to shake off his austere newsreader schtick, Huw seemed to take a positively perverse interest in the poverty and terror in some of the countries that were competing.

2) The celebration of music. Boyle has long had a special affinity for music and soundtrack in all of his films and has expressed on many occasions a desire to direct a musical. So why did this, by his own admission, not really work? A great shame. That said the confetti of clips was quite remarkable.

3) The Mr Bean Chariots of Fire bit. One felt that, because of the Atkinson character overseas, this was included far more for the worldwide audience's benefit than for ours. Nothing wrong with that I guess, and it was nice to see comedy be represented, but I'm still at a loss at his Zelig like inclusion in the famous opening from the film and especially at Stephen Campbell Moore's inclusion by his side. Why? Did they think any old (or rather young) posho actor will do? Surely it'd be more apt to have asked Nigel Havers or Ben Cross to put in an appearance?

4) And this one really can't be blamed on Boyle and is perhaps more of a personal irritant to me, but Redgrave with the torch - it should have been Daley Thompson!

5) Paul McCartney and his croaky spent goose farting in the fog voice.

Despite this however, we still have the amazing history of England complete with Branagh's Brunel, the wonderfully proggy celebration of the NHS, children and children's literature with a soundtrack by Mike Oldfield and of course that meeting between James Bond and Her Majesty The Queen. And that's worth the celebration even now right?