The Night Eats the World

The Night Eats the World ★★★★★

At the end of the world, the end of the world just felt like everyday

I see this quote almost every single day when I leave home. It's written in graffiti on the side of a dumpster in an alley near my apartment in a simplistic font. I always make a point to look at it when I walk by and think about how this could be my last day and I would never even know it because it feels just like any other day.

I went into this film expecting another zombie flick, but this film focuses on a different kind of horror and the zombification of society is the vehicle that gets us there.

We follow Sam, our protagonist, who goes to his ex-girlfriend's house to get some tapes he left there and finds she is having a party. He passes out in a room by himself, and when he wakes up, he finds that the world as he knew it no longer exists. The apartment, previously filled with people and loud music, is now destroyed and the silence takes over.

From here, the film is largely a character study and focusing on Sam's own survival and isolation. Sam mostly barricades himself from the zombies and the real threat is his own sanity. We watch as Sam slowly descends into madness due to the isolation that he talks to a zombie named Alfred that he has trapped in the building elevator. The dialogue is minimal, but when it does happen, it speaks.

Aren't you pissed that they left you here all by yourself? Now you and I are the same, we're alone.

I recently went through a break-up with who I thought was the love of my life and he took all of my friends with him. My entire life turned upside down in an instant. I've tried so hard to distract myself with things like movies, puzzles, walks, but there comes a point where none of those things matter if you feel entirely alone. This past weekend, I was at a music festival and I started tearing up in the middle of a crowd because I felt isolated even though I was in a sea of people. We respond by doing things like getting tattoos/piercings (guilty) or playing the drums loudly regardless of the effects or danger to ourself just to get a thrill and feel something for a little while. I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by things like TV, Internet, and endless resources for conversation like Discord and Letterboxd to keep my mind occupied and many days I still end up feeling just as isolated and alone as Sam. Even us introverts need human connection now and then

Hooptober X: Film 3/31 | Post-apocalyptic related film