Brief Encounter ★★★★★

Laura: “Nothing lasts really, neither happiness nor despair...”

Alec: “I love you with all my heart and soul.”
Laura: “I want to die. If only I could die.”

I knew in the first 2 minutes I was going to love this one. It was one of the most beautifully shot, beautifully acted films I’ve ever seen! I adore Trevor Howard, and Celia Johnson was just lovely. She reminded me of Helena Bonham Carter. And that Rachmaninov score was so heart wrenching and perfect.

I really do love films, especially romances, about middle age people. Maybe because I’m middle aged myself now? The stories just seem so much sweeter, somehow. They aren’t usually about beautiful and idealistic people who are ready to change the world, they’re usually about tired and worn people who have survived hardships and who are perfectly happy with the ordinary normalcy of life. Maybe I just relate to them more.

I’ve actually had this on my watch list for a while. I just kept putting it off because I’m not typically into movies about affairs. I don’t know why this one didn’t bother me, but it didn’t. Maybe because of Celia Johnson, she was so likeable. She made you feel what she felt. She didn’t want any of it. Falling in love with Trevor Howard actually brought misery to her. But she couldn’t help it. She still loved him. It was sweet and romantic and heartbreaking and perfect in every way.

I loved every moment. ❤️