Parasite ★★★★½

As a film about a family imposing on another and keeping secrets hidden underneath the surface, Parasite accomplishes what Jordan Peele achieved with US. Which was telling a multi-layered story in a brilliantly entertaining fashion, but without sacrificing the believability of its core narrative. I’m not at all familiar with the director Bong Joon-ho, but from what I just watched he’s in a class of his own.

The reality of living in poverty in the modern world is terrifying, where one’s family and spouses can automatically be dehumanized by society & be put on the same level as rats and cockroaches.

It’s a curveball satire on social economic disparities, materialism and class boundaries in the South Korean society that moves generally in tone. Pure comedy to dark comedy to thriller to drama to mystery to horror, you name it. It converts tone so smooth without feeling out of place.

Parasite is crafted in a superb way from the excellent use of cinematography, vibrant colors, lavish production designs, artistic values, great pacing and an amazing cast to go along with it. Thank God I didn’t watch any promotional material for this. It’s a powerful film that everyone needs to see. I loved it!

2019 Movies Ranked List