In the Mood for Love

In the Mood for Love ★★★★½

The past is something he could see, but not touch. And everything he sees is blurred and indistinct.

What's worst? To be with you or to be without you? To be happy with a lie or to be sad with the truth? This is the tragedy of In the Mood for Love.

The story takes place in 60's Hong Kong. After moving into a new apartment, neighbors Mrs. Chan and Mr. Chow slowly realize their respective partners are cheating with the spouse of the other, so they come together trying to cope with this realization and also comfort each other. At one point they fall in love; the crowded places, the stretch corridors and the diners are the places where this romance blossoms. But it is a love story dead from the start, a romance doomed to fail. Are they in love with each other or with the version of their spouses they have created?

I also love how they don't even show this couple kissing or anything but I could feel the love and the intensity of it. I won't even start with the acting and the cinematography, it was all so catching, vehement and intimate. Another Wong Kar-wai's masterpiece.

Ugh, I just want noodles and to be loved.

Angeles ✨ liked these reviews