La La Land

La La Land ★★★★★

This is hard. I don’t feel like I can really talk about this movie itself, or at least not yet, because if I begin talking about it I would definitely miss something important and so I won’t even try. But in a way I still wanted to say something about it and about our love for movies in general, which is, as love is, something complicated. It’s probably an intricate thought (not a theory of mine, just a thought) that most likely will be obvious for some, but I still thought I could explore it a little more, so brace yourselves.
So I was thinking about something: why does it seem like I love a movie more and more with every day that passes, even though I haven’t seen it in a long while? Why do I love a movie like La La Land (2016) a thousand times more now than when I last saw it more than a year ago?
And I think I came to a conclusion: I believe it is because of this “concept” of a movie as a your own literally neverending story, as something that becomes a part of you, and not at all as something that you “just” saw and then you leave it, like that’s it. In fact, for some movies I feel like, even though the end credits have long stopped rolling, the movie goes on in your memory, the music never stops, the dialogues never shut, and the emotions never fade. It becomes sort of endless and you start to alter the movie as a “product”, to change what you saw, it becomes more and more your construct, something you build from your own memories of it (for example: if you loved a movie that wasn’t necessarily technically perfect when you saw it, you will think a lot about it and probably you will slowly erase all the faults you found and make it a perfect movie in your mind, like La La Land in my case). And therefore there are oftentimes movies that I know I loved the moment I effectively watched it, but the big part of the love I have for it only came to light with the passing of time, because in my head I build something new out of what I saw a long time ago, and this new product is now “my” movie or, at least, my personal version of it, and that’s maybe why I love it more now than when I first saw it. It’s as if we all start from the same version of the movie, but then we make it our own somehow...
This would also provide an explanation for why I keep changing my grades here on letterboxd. There is for example a movie like Drive (2011) that maybe started off with 3,5 stars for me and now it has a fully deserved 5 star rating, because the more I think about it, about all the hidden meanings and mostly about the fact itself that it doesn’t go out of my mind, the more I think it deserves it, the more it proves how much I love it (and there are obviously many more movies like this...)
And in the end I just think this is a really beautiful way to put it, a way to look at movies in general: not as something that starts with the opening credits and ends with the final lines, but something that goes on and something that grows on you and with you♥️

mary🦋 liked these reviews