Avengers: Age of Ultron ★★★

There is no review for this diary entry. Add a review?

My random rambly thoughts

There were a lot of things going through my head as I watched the movie, and once I was home after I had just watched it. Here they are:

The opening scene. We're thrown into the action right away. So much so that it took me a while to figure out what was going on. Whedon is usually quite good at action sequences, but this one was just too much for me. Everything was so fast (and the 3D was not helping), that I couldn't figure out who did what and where.
The twins. I was both very curious and very nervous about the way they would choose to introduce these characters. In the comics, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff are the children of Magneto (an X-Men, whose movies rights are in Fox's possession) and in order to put them in the Avengers movies, they did not have the right, obviously, to talk about Magneto and, less obviously, say that they were mutants. So they ended up being genetically modified ("enhanced") orphans. Okay.
Now, let me tell right away that I am not that familiar with either Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch in the comics, but I feel like this was quite of a let down. Pietro looks like a bad cosplay version of himself. Bad dye job, sweat pants and running shoes... He looks like a Russian mobster's kid. You know? Put a gold chain and watch on him and there you go: Eastern European gangster. I usually love Aaron Johnson, but what is he doing here? The role is not that interesting, he doesn't even act very well... It's like he's waiting for it to be over already or something. I had so much hope for this. While Fox's Quicksilver in X-Men: Days of Future Past had the best scene of the movie, I thought that the character was a bit too vanilla, that his "costume" was tacky and that he generally looked bad as well. But at least the actor seemed to have a bit of fun with it.
As for Wanda, well, she's the winner here. I thought Elizabeth Olsen did a very good job and I liked what she did with the character. In both cases, not a massive fan of the accents though.
Also, am I just crazy, or do they NEVER say "Quicksilver" and "Scarlet Witch". It's always either Pietro and Wanda, or "the twins".
Quicksilver's death. Ah. Yes. I guess I should have seen that coming. To be honest, the first thing that came to mind when he gets shot was "No problem, just put him through the Tahiti Protocol", and then I realised: because of copyrights issues with Fox, they probably had to kill the poor guy.
Hawkeye. Speaking of killing off characters, once they introduced Hawkeye's family, I thought for sure that he was going to die. Really. You don't introduce such a happy family in a messed world like that to have a happy ending in the end. Guess I was wrong.
Hawkeye/Black Widow/Hulk love triangle. And what the hell was that even about?? A family? When it's been hinted for 2 movies that Hawkeye and Black Widdow have a thing? In Captain America: The Winter Soldier she wears an arrow necklace for crying out loud! Don't put that in if you're gonna have her be in love with Hulk in the very next movie. That romance between Natasha and Bruce made absolutely no sense to me.
Julie Delpy. I'm very confused as to why she's here. We barely see her face and she has one line. Why do you take an aclaimed actress and film-maker for such an insignificant role. If we were to have a Black Widow solo movie in the near future, I'd understand, but since we're not getting one, I'm just very confused. Is she friends with Whedon and wanted some sort of cameo in an Avengers movie, or what?
S.H.I.E.L.D. Where the fuck was it? Thanks to Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. we know that it's not dead, neither is Coulson, and yet there is no mention of anything as to a possible "return to power" for S.H.I.E.L.D. They are going to bring back Coulson into the movies at some point, right? Or would that destroy the Avengers team that was built on their common loss of him?
Wakanda. And no Black Panther tiny cameo? Really? You would have scored big time if you did it.
The post credits scene. Seriously? Thanos? Again? Argh!

Now for the good stuff:

Mjölnir. The scene where they all try to lift Thor's hammer is hilarious and just what we like to see in an Avengers movie: all of them, together, bonding. Well, okay, we like to see them fight as a team too, but seeing how they become friends and develop their relationships is also very interesting to me. And the look on Thor's face when the hammer slightly moves when Steve tries to lift it: priceless.
Vision. I was not familiar with that character, and highly confused as how and why it would be played by Paul Bettany when Paul Bettany is already Jarvis. But Oh.My.God was I not disappointed. That guy got style! He's kind of a Mr Manhattan from what I can gather, and I really hope to see more from him in the next instalments, because he gave me chills! Also, the look on everyone when he picks up Thor's hammer without even trying: priceless.
James Spader. I guess this would be a hit or miss for a lot of people, because we basically got Red Reddington being Ultron, and some people might not like that. But I loved it. James Spader has an incredible voice and way of delivering lines, very cool and threatening at the same time.

Funny how you tend to remember the bad stuff a lot better than the good stuff.

Some more general/overall thoughts

If you were to tell me, after seeing this movie, that it was in fact the very last Avengers movie we would see, I would believe you. This movie, to me, felt like closure. Like they wrapped up everything from the previous movie, but there is no opening towards to next. Sure, we got the "next Avengers" team that Cap is training, but still, it felt like a decent end to a good run they had Phase 1 and Phase 2. Apart from the Thanos scene at the very end, there is nothing to suggest that the storyline would continue in other movies. If I didn't know that Captain America: Civil War (oh, and there's Thor 3 also, right?) was being made, I would have thought that this was the end of the Avengers as we've known them until now, and that the next movies would be all about a new team.

This was hella confusing. Why do wrap things up in a nice bow like that, if you know you're gonna rip out the ribbon right after and probably won't be able to wrap it up as nicely later on?