La La Land ★★★½

If after watching this film you still don't understand why I want to be Emma Stone, then I don't know what to tell you. She's the best.
AND she's a great actress! I've been on the Emma Stone bandwagon since Easy A, and I've been singing her praises ever since.

Remember when that movie was supposed to be starring Miles Teller and Emma Watson? Remember how offended I was at the fact that Damien Chazelle promised the role to Teller and then didn't even bother to tell him that he was fired from the project? Yeah, I know, now who cares? As much as I like Miles Teller as an actor (I wanted to see him sing and dance), and as much as I don't care about Emma Watson as an actress, I think La La Land works in great part because of Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. Remove those two, and I don't think I care about the movie.

Musicals are so weird for me. Either I'm in, or I'm not. But for this one, I'm on the fence. I like the fact that Stone and Gosling are not professional singers and dancers, because it gives a more rooted and authentic feel to their performance, but at the same time, I couldn't get into the opening number, and the scene at the observatory where they dance in the stars didn't feel "organic". I can buy —to some extent— Gosling singing on a pier or Stone breaking into song during an audition, but dancing on cars in traffic or flying and dancing in the stars... Not so much...

Gosling should only take comedic roles. That's where he shines (and I say that as the girl who never really cared about Gosling as an actor).