London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony: Isles of Wonder

I know, I'm 6 years late to the party on this one. I watched it out of curiosity after reading this article and because I never watched the 2012 Olympic Games originally; I missed out on all the hype.

I thought I'd be able to put this on in the background while I worked on my personal statement, but the opening sequence is incredible. From the rolling green hills up to the moment the Olympic rings fly in is an incredible piece of work, and a great tribute to the working class of the Industrial Revolution. I think it starts to get a bit disjointed around the time Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and the Windrush appear, because thematically I don't think they fit in to everything else that's happening - it's like they've jumped ahead by 40 years.

Then it's a monstrous vision of Winston Churchill as a T-1000 waving at James Bond and the Queen and everything after that feels like a pop culture checklist being ticked off. After that the athletes appeared and I could finally get some writing done (250 words, if you're interested). I did learn about the existence of Saint Kitts and Nevis, which is cool - I like finding out about countries that have roughly the same population as the town I grew up in. I'm not being patronising, I just appreciate how easy it is to be able to judge the scale of a place by population.

Then there are some nice speeches, Mohammed Ali, a really wonderful Olympic torch ceremony and Paul McCartney singing everybody off with Hey Jude. The first hour and forty minutes is some of Danny Boyle's best work, the rest is an Olympic Opening Ceremony.