2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

(The Ultimate 'Classics' List)

I was going to begin this by saying, "Yet another film exploring the themes of time, space, and evolution" - but then I realized in 1968 this is one of the first of its kind.

To not acknowledge the fact that this film is far ahead of its time in every aspect would be ignorant. The cinematography alone deserves to be recognized as brilliance. It's true that this film is extremely slow paced, but I think this was done to physically create the sense of time in the audience - instead of simply showing it. It puzzles me when I see bad reviews for this movie, because I don't think it should be taken out of context when judged. Kubrick was able to give us a vision of the distant future while living in 1968. He created a film that manages to achieve the ultimate goal of any film: to be stimulating. 2001: A Space Odyssey is an adventure of the senses: visually, mentally, emotionally. It's exploration of the human condition is presented flawlessly. Even when reviewing this film outside of its year of production, it still remains one of the better films of the current era.

Mar liked these reviews