Inside Llewyn Davis

Inside Llewyn Davis ★★★★★

Before this I had never seen a movie that so accurately portrays depression without ever explicitly mentioning it. Llewyn Davis tries to cope with the death of his partner, the lacklustre of his career and the lack of emotional connection in this life. Yet on the outside he appears irritable, rude and to blame for his problems. I believe only those who have come face to face with depression would understand and sympathise with his anger.

The colour scheme, the way the beginning and end show the same shot and the scene where Llewyn is driving in complete darkness. These all show that Llewyn feels bored, lost and fearful that his life may be a never-ending loop of misery. Yet despite all this, he simply continues trying, he gets up and faces the world with small hope that maybe his life will pick up. It’s something that luckily, most of us are able to do.

I think this movie also subtly tries to show us the importance of friendship. Llewyn is clearly damaged by the death of his partner and even those around him seem to believe he’s not “enough” as a musician on his own. It shows us the reality that even the absence of a friend can cause people to spiral into loneliness and depression.