Lilo & Stitch

Lilo & Stitch ★★★★★

I'm lost.

If this film had come out five years before it did it could be considered a Disney classic with the likes of Aladdin and Little Mermaid. It is a flawless film that goes from proper belly laughs to crushing emotional depths within minutes.

Its tender and well thought out narrative bring a fantastic emotional depth to what should be a very silly story and if you haven't seen this be prepared to cry the whole way through. Even the filler song scenes are fantastic lending to the great animation on Stitch and the lovely voice work.

It deals with a different culture without being garish, there's a lovely explanation on tumblr about the significance of the Aloha-Oe scene that I wish I could find and link here, and the issues surrounding a broken family and being a care-giver at a young age are dealt with phenomenally well. Nani and Lilo are dysfunctional but they love each other and that is what is important.

There are plenty of one liners you might miss on a first viewing ("that's my blue period!") to keep a rewatch fresh, and Lilo is just a fantastic character.

ITS THE BEST FILM EVER OKAY, I GOT A LOT OF FEELINGS.

robyn liked these reviews