Children of Men

Children of Men ★★★★½

Film 20/30 of Scavenger Hunt 17
Task #16: A Post-apocalyptic film
letterboxd.com/martinjacob49/list/scavenger-hunt-17-august-2016/

(A Letters to the Director review)

To Mr. Alfonso Cuaron,

I have finally watched Children of Men, and I was struck by how raw and honest you were at depicting a sinister dystopian future. It's really insane actually, how 10 years after you directed this movie, in the middle of an election year, and the possibility of electing a leader that might bring the world down to shambles like what happens in this movie, where economies and societies collapse like flies, immigrants are treated like crap, the police become a militarized nightmare, and there's no fertility. At all. Let's hope to God that whoever gets elected (because I am neutral and really don't give a crap about the modern political landscape) has an optimistic outlook on life, treats all races, religions, genders, sexes, and citizens fair, and looks to Jesus for all hope.

Anyway, I really liked Children of Men, not just for crafting a real as crap tone and setting up the future in a smart way, but you direct the heck out of this movie. Your one-take shots alone in this picture mesmerized me, especially that suspenseful car ambush scene. While I wished some of the characters were fleshed-out more, Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, and Michael Caine did fine in what they were given, and it's the tone, the scary realism, the religious overtones, and the tense action scenes that make the film for me. Though I honestly favor Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban over this....

The Movie King

"Y'know that ringing in your ears? That 'eeeeeeeeee'? That's the sound of the ear cells dying, like their swan song. Once it's gone you'll never hear that frequency again. Enjoy it while it lasts."

83/100