Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Hunt for the Wilderpeople ★★★★★

I can now watch these small, independent films on the big-screen now, now that I discovered a small theater that plays this stuff. And thanks to the awesome Chris Stuckmann who reviewed this film, I wouldn't have heard of Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Directed by New Zealand native Taika Watiti, Hunt for the Wilderpeople's plot is basically Up without all the fantasy elements with much more gut-busting comedy; it stars Sam Neill as a grumpy old farmer grieving over the loss of his wife who, through a series of bizarre circumstances, finds himself stranded in the New Zealand forests with a chubby troublemaker kid, who was sent to his place as a foster kid. The two have to put aside their personal differences to find their way back into civilization while, in the troubled kids' case, avoid the law enforcement to evade juvenile detention.

And.... I really loved this movie. Both Sam Neill and that kid actor give amazing performances and their chemistry provides the heart of this movie. It takes its time to develop the character's differences and their progression felt natural. Also, the balance between comedy and drama is how a great combined genre movie should work. I found myself feeling bad for the kid and his situations while also cracking hysterically at the people he and Neill come across, particularly that "Psycho Sam" character. It's a beautifully filmed movie that does New Zealand justice (like LOTR), and the comedy in this definitely has me more optimistic for Watiti's venture into the MCU.

It's an awesome movie definitely worth checking out if you can find it...

""Faulkner is cauc-asian" - well, they got that wrong because you're obviously white."

99/100