Suicide Squad

Suicide Squad ★★★½

No, I still don't think Suicide Squad is an abomination.

However, I did find less enjoyment on this rewatch.

Don't get me wrong, it's an entertaining movie, well, at least for me. I did enjoy the team-up of these distinctive, diverse, and loony characters of Will Smith's Deadshot, Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn, and Jai Courtney's Captain Boomerang, there's fun action sequences, I honestly liked Jared Leto's bizarre take on The Joker despite being underused, and I enjoyed how the characters interacted with one another, but yeah, it's clear on this rewatch that there were too many cooks in the kitchen.

It's not the worst studio interfered movie I've seen (Fant4stic gets that title), and you can tell that David Ayer still put hard work into this movie, especially in the characters, but tonally, this is all over the place. Some of the jokes don't really land, the editing is choppy, causing some sequences to flow awkwardly, and I refuse to believe that Ayer wanted that end of the world/portal in the sky cliché scenario that's been overused to death.

Also, The Enchantress is a joke. Never found her interesting.

And Slipknot is the most pointless character ever in a comic book movie.

So yeah, it's a flawed movie that maybe had one too many editors (between the credited editor, the studio, and a trailer company), and the film definitely should have gone for the hard R rating to justify the edginess of some of these characters, but I still enjoyed Suicide Squad as a disposable popcorn flick. I liked most of the characters, there's a few good moments where I genuinely cared, and I still have hope for the future of the DC universe. They definitely have some room for improvement, and I think that continuing these interesting characters with a better developed follow-up with an R rating can help.

62/100 (previously an 87; borderline Phantom Menaced)

martinjacob49 liked these reviews