Erase and Forget ★★★★½

As a documentary portrait it's frustratingly vague, snatches of conversations filmed over a decade, but I think Zimmerman is actually reaching for something deeper than reportage, something more cinematic (the editing, especially the juxtaposition of voice and archive, is very precise and deliberate). It's about the struggle to understand the processes of indoctrination and glorification that provide fresh meat for the war machine, with Hollywood at the centre. Only when we understand this can we start to resist it.

Bo Gritz (the real-life inspiration for Rambo, as we're told many times) can't fully reckon with his existence as the face of the military-industrial-patriotic-patriarchal complex, lurching between religions and all across the political spectrum over the course of his life. There's a sequence early in the film at a gun show where he tells two teenagers who have just enlisted that they can do anything in the army. Later, he watches the footage and expresses a deeper ambivalence about their fate. But it's too late for Mea culpa missions to rescue forgotten POWs (who might only exist as empty propaganda anyway), or creating off the grid survivalist communities - we're living in the world he helped create.