Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★½

In your head, Zombie.

Zack Snyder is back directing in the genre that started his feature length film debut. This time around he brings us ‘Army of the dead’ and a film that has sadly disappointed me.

While we were praising his 4 hour ‘Justice League’ his new film comes in at 2 hours 30 minutes. And it doesn’t need to be this long. This is very bloated. Drags imo. If this was a hour shorter, I probably would have enjoyed it much much more.

Snyder has become one of my favourite directors. I love his visual style. And on this film he is the DOP and he made some weird choices. Making the film mostly blurry doesn’t sit well with me. Bad decision from him.

He also co-wrote the script, and it’s not well written. The humour just wasn’t there for me. Yeah Dave Bautista is getting a lot of credit for his acting, but why? He doesn’t do anything good with what the script has given him.

The third act is pure Snyder. It’s bonkers as hell!! It’s over the top and that is what I like to see. There is a reason why it’s called ‘Army of the dead’ and you see it unfold in the third act.

My other big praise for this film is the opening credits. Which Snyder is a genius at doing anyways. It’s like a mini movie rolled into it along with two cover versions of Via Las Vegas. Love the opening credit scene.

Since I am a massive Snyder fan and wanted to see how his first film with Netflix went, it’s a shame it’s disappointing imo.

2021: boxd.it/aKQBm