Videodrome ★★★★½

Could be David Cronenberg's most important, visionary, and ambitious work. A cult film that is disturbing and visually grotesque, so not for the faint of heart.
Thought-provoking, not least because the film is a window into the future: Freely available information, avatar names, the limits of satisfaction and entertainment, the effects on your surroundings and on the mind of watching violence, sex or torture, and whether entertainment is at the expense of something more worthwhile. Does viewing kill our brain cells, the brainwashing of consumers, the nature of reality, etc, etc.
Full of ideas, the film was in some ways not ready for audiences in 1983, but today is more relevant than ever. Open to multiple interpretations, Videodrome has somewhat taken on a life of its own beyond the filmmakers intentions. A conversation starter you feel you want to talk about after watching, you can draw your own conclusions of what it is about. The more I think about it, the more I admire it. A remake is planned for a 2014 release.
In the making of from 80s, Cronenberg said: "it's very hard for me to say what Videodrome is about in a sentence, because I think it's totally misleading to say it's a criticism of television, or that it is an extention of Network, or something like that. It really is exploring what I've been doing all along, which is to see what happens when people go to extremes in trying to alter their total environment, to the point, where it comes back, and starts to alter their physical selves."
David Cronenberg recalled how, when he was a child, he used to pick up television signals from Buffalo, New York, late at night after Canadian stations had gone off the air, and how he used to worry he might see something disturbing not meant for public consumption. This formed the basis for the plot of Videodrome.

Chris liked these reviews