Chinatown ★★★★

Wow, I really didn't expect to like this one as much as I did on my first viewing. Most people say that this movie takes multiple viewings to figure out and enjoy, and although I didn't fully understand everything, I can definitely appreciate this movie and I thought it was very well done. The story starts out simple enough, but quickly turns into a huge mystery that you really have to pay attention to. Jack Nicholson was excellent as Gittes, this is definitely one of my favorite roles of his. He is calm, collected, and we follow him through this huge maze as he tries to figure out the truth. Faye Dunaway matches Nicholson, and their chemistry is pretty good. John Huston also did a good job with his limited screen time. Roman Polanski provides very strong direction, and he actually made an appearance in the film which I found interesting (as the Man with the Knife). The soundtrack is eerie, haunting, and perfectly fits with the Neo noir genre. The dialogue here is probably the best part, the words flow so smoothly out of the actors mouths and it really is a pleasure to watch. As I said before, I still need a re-watch or two to fully grasp the story and how everything connects, as I was pretty confused at times, but for the most part I thought the story was very well told. Chinatown gets a strong recommendation from me, this is definitely a great film and a classic.