Call Me by Your Name ★★

(note: this post originally had a 3.5-star rating. i have, over time, come to the realization that i just can't like this movie for a variety of reasons—mostly in terms of how it romanticizes and normalizes a completely abusive relationship. original post follows)

i can’t wait for someone to make a fanmade video for this movie set to “fuck the pain away” by peaches

(okay, actual review follows)

Reactions to movies are subjective—that cannot be argued. And while people bring to movies what their own lives have supplied them with, I sometimes wonder at what point a movie falls just a bit short on its own terms as opposed to in regards to an audience member’s personal tastes. Call Me by Your Name is a movie that, with its powerhouse performances and tactile, self-assured direction, makes for an overall satisfying viewing, granting the audience a refreshingly intimate look at its protagonist. With all of that being said, I wonder if I was distanced from the film from the beginning.

I’m aromantic and asexual; I have no interest in relationships, nor do I have any reason to act intimately. The more I think about it, though, I realize that no, the perceived flaws of Call Me by Your Name are not my doing. Luca Gaudagnino’s latest has some of the best moments of 2017, and it has touched tons of people by (apparently) being enrapturing in its craftsmanship and honesty. While I can’t doubt either of those claims, I still felt a bit empty—and dare I say bored at times—by its meandering sequences of fluff throughout the middle before its stellar ending. It’s a film that functions on one level, and that’s as a look at first love. Interspersed with the undeniable greatness present here, though, is a sense of repetition that comes with watching privileged people lounge around Europe during the summer, even if they happen to be queer.

Full review on FilmMonthly.

Matt liked these reviews