Django Unchained ★★★★★

It remains to be the case that Quentin Tarantino is unable to make a film that I do not fall head over heels in love with. Honestly, the way he writes dialogue, the way he uses music, and the way he says things without overtly saying them speaks to me like cinematic magic. 'Django Unchained' is no different.
And while this, like all of his films, touts what he loves about cinema past and present, 'Django Unchained' also bravely tackles the subject of slavery and race in a way that I've not seen before. No one alive today may be able to ever fully comprehend how truly evil America's slave trade business or how much those poor people suffered in the name of greed and hatred, but Tarantino gives us a glimpse and really lays it bare in horrific ways. Where this movie may lose some people though is that it doesn't wallow in this evil. It shows it as such an everyday occurrence that it merely becomes another aspect of the world these characters live in. Some may see this as diminishing the cruelty but I see it as a more potent realization of a world that we thankfully don't live in anymore.
The cast here is absolutely perfect with Christoph Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson, and Leonardo DiCaprio in particularly delivering performances that will be near the top of their entire careers.
I could write pages about this movie but I'll stop now because frankly it'll all be glowing. This is the kinda flick I fell in love with movies for and I cannot wait to watch it again and again.

Matt liked these reviews