Kong: Skull Island

Kong: Skull Island ★★★★

This is a dumb movie. A really dumb movie. But honestly who the hell cares? You have a 100 foot tall ape smashing helicopters like flies and fighting Skullcrawlers. It's basically a B-movie with a 185 million dollar budget. It delivers on what it's supposed to deliver.

I'm not a big fan of 2014's Godzilla. Kong: Skull Island is exactly the opposite of what Godzilla was. And while they do have similar problems, Skull Island is very stylish and over-the-top that it's impossible not to enjoy. The problems with Skull Island come with the characters and the story. Some characters a barely fleshed out and the story is honestly lacking at times. But Skull Island does such a well job at making you forget those problems.

The cinematography is gorgeous. That's obvious since it's done by Larry Fong. It's arguably the best part about the movie. The action seems like something Zack Snyder would direct. Very big, very cinematic and slow mo. And it's so much fun to look at.

The island is also a great setting. You have lots of great shots of it, lots of great monsters with unique designs and it's fun exploring it along with your characters.

Kong: Skull Island has problems, but like I said, we came here to see a 100 foot tall gorilla fight other monsters and swat helicopters like flies. I'm satisfied.

Matej liked these reviews