The Power of the Dog

The Power of the Dog ★★★★★

Definitely the kind of movie that needs a rewatch, but wow wow wow was I impressed by this one right off the bat. Jane Campion spent a while away from the camera, but if this is the kind of thing she cooks up in twelve years away, I'm more than willing to wait until 2033 for the next project. Cumberbatch, Dunst, and Smit-McPhee are all absolutely phenomenal, and I can't wait to see them all hopefully pick up multiple trophies for their towering performances, all of which are so varying in intensity and affect but challenge and infringe upon each other in staggering ways. It's always incredibly fascinating when a woman tells a story about masculinity, and Campion doesn't shy away from the dirtiest facets of pre-Depression gender dynamics. Johnny Greenwood's score is also a standout. There's so much to dig into here, and I say that a lot of films will stick with me, but this is one where I know I'll be actively untangling its characters and messages for a while to come. One of the best of the year so far for sure.

Matt liked these reviews