The Wolf of Wall Street

The Wolf of Wall Street ★★½

It may take me a while to fully develop my opinion on the film, because my gut tells me a filmmaker like Scorsese wouldn't make the movie I just saw.

Technically speaking it was as well made as anyone would expect, the performances were great, and I thought the script really worked. Unfortunately the movie is entirely too long for the story they're telling, but I'll let that one slide for this review. My initial response was still so negative, and I think I've figured out why.

The film takes on Belfort's perspective on events, giving it a major moral problem. It glorifies drug and sex addiction to the point where most of my theatre was laughing right along with Belfort getting high to the point of debilitation and then driving his Lamborghini home when he could barely grip the steering wheel. There's a sequence in the film where a character is choking to the death and the only way Belfort can save him is by dumping cocaine in his nose. The movie directly relates his cocaine with Popeye's strength-giving spinach by showing the cartoon while he's taking the cocaine.

It grossed me out, honestly. Something tells me I missed something, but I really don't want to see it again.