Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★½

Provisional 4.5. Will probably re-rate 5.0 on second viewing.

"You look like someone else."

I... I don't even know where to start. As a fan of David Lynch, I had been building up to this for months now, and it was well worth the wait. Mulholland Drive can only be described as a dizzying, intoxicating, and occasionally exasperating trip through the Hollywood dreamscape, which always attempts to obfuscate and never provides obvious answers.

Comparisons with Lost Highway do seem apt - both share a non-linear narrative, leads with interlinked dual personalities, and plot threads which intentionally disappear - but Mulholland Drive's origins as a TV pilot do complicate potential readings. Was this scene or character intended as series setup? Was that one added for the film? Who knows.

What concerns me more is an overall interpretation: what actually happens in Mulholland Drive, and what does it all mean? I have my own theory - which I will likely share in a future spoiler review - but it is definitely not the same explanation adopted by a majority of critics. Hopefully a re-watch will prove more enlightening, but I doubt it.

On a side-note, this is officially the 1000th film I have logged as "watched" on Letterboxd. Good choice, eh?

David Lynch ranked