Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World ★★★★★

"I'm too cool for you anyway."

It's been ten years to the day since this was released in UK cinemas. Which means it's roughly nine and a half years since I first saw it on DVD. That's a scary notion to contemplate.

I enjoyed plenty of movies in my pre-Scott Pilgrim existence. I was into Star Wars, James Bond, Indiana Jones, and many more. But aged 16, I discovered Bryan Lee O'Malley's graphic novel, and adored it. After I read the first volume, I sought out the movie adaptation, never having heard of Edgar Wright or most of the cast. And it blew my head clean off. Obviously I wasn't the cultured cinephile I am now - he says with a sense of foolish optimism - so needless to say I hadn't experienced anything quite like it. In many ways I still haven't.

Retrospectively though, Scott Pilgrim was my gateway drug into cinema. It was the singular phenomenon that made me fall in love with movies as a whole, and appreciate the filmmaking process. No joke, there was a time when that DVD sat comfortably in my player for weeks on end. I would watch the movie, then listen to the cast & crew audio commentaries, and then watch the movie again. Today's revisit on Blu-ray definitely reminded me of the passage of time - at the tender age of 25, I am now older than most of the characters - but it also made me feel like a 16-year-old again.

So yeah. I really love Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.
You could even say that I'm in lesbians with it.

Matthew liked these reviews