Kiki's Delivery Service

Kiki's Delivery Service ★★★★★

This is the wholesome content that I love to see. This was one of my favorites as a kid and I had such an amazing time watching it as an adult. It's a beautiful escape and a feel-good, relaxing 103 minutes spent with Kiki and the many characters she encounters. It's a charming, intimate experience with an endearing cast of characters. Kiki's cat, Jiji provides a lot of humor that kids and adults can both enjoy. The bakery owners are lovable and easy-going and so many more with unique personalities and interesting characteristics. I love how there's no antagonist, major conflict, or third act fight scene. Instead, the little piece of conflict in this film is Kiki's struggle with herself; trying to pick herself back up and ignite her passion.

It doesn't have the fantastical elements of other Ghibli movies, but I loved that just because Kiki is a witch, the movie wasn't filled with magical spells and witchcraft. The only magical elements were that she could fly on a broom and talk to a cat. These scenes are even more magical with the gorgeous animation. The way Kiki flies through the air is stimulating and full of energy. This world is simple but feels so lived in. Every building she visits is filled with so much warmth you never want to leave. Joe Hisaishi's score is the perfect accompaniment to the movie and captures the spirit of Kiki incredibly well.

It's a simple, lighthearted movie that tells a meaningful message. It's a story about growing old, finding something you love, and keeping that passion.

matthewpchen liked these reviews