Cannibal Holocaust

Cannibal Holocaust ★★★★★

Nothing less than a masterpiece and really should be an essential watch to anyone into the horror, grindhouse, exploitation genres and the likes. Nothing cut. I get if you're squeamish over the animal scenes but they weren't senseless killings, they were fed to the villages so it's really no different than hunting.

I was incredibly excited when I saw Joe Bob taking on this classic. Cannibal Holocaust is one of my favorite horror films of all time and to hear his commentary was a treat. He didn't really bring to light what I didn't already know but so many viewers were finally subjected to the experience.

Beyond the extreme graphic violence, I hold to high regard how there's a compelling story still intact here- it isn't fully for the shock value. The last quarter where the crew finally get earn their fate is some of the most grim images ever laid to film, a surreal sequence of events.

Cannibal Holocaust is about pushing the limits and packs some mega kahoonas and that is what horror is all about.

Matt liked these reviews