Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Portrait of a Lady on Fire ★★★★★

Stunning, absolutely extraordinary. I wanted to make a review last night when I got home, but I left the theatre so speechless that I wanted to take the night to gather my thoughts on it. Woke up this morning and I'm not even kidding, this movie was the very first thing I thought about, it's just remarkable.

Our feelings, specifically the powerful ones, are virtually impossible to explain or describe. That's why throughout history, only the great artists have ever been able to truly capture and display snapshots of these emotions through paintings, sculpture, performance, etc. I deeply believe that this film is an example of one of those great pieces of art.

This film IS passion, it is love, it is rage; you feel the film just as much as you watch it. Even the title represents this passion, they are women on fire, they are BURNING with desire and dread. I can barely wrap my head around it, this film seeped through the screen like paint through a canvas.

Bravo to everyone involved. Also I guess I like period pieces now? That's new for me but I'm rolling with it.

Matt liked this review