Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★★

this is a fucking heartbreaking movie, but it is a great reminder to not take things for granted. the only constant in life is change, and you have to make do with what you have, not what you had.

this is my first 5 star rating and my favorite movie of 2020. everything just clicked for me. marder’s direction of ruben’s journey by shifting between his point of view and others’ is amazing to get the viewer in his mind. i was as frustrated, heartbroken, and happy as he was throughout the entire runtime which is a sign of good direction.

and how can you not touch on this masterclass of an acting display? where to begin? riz ahmed puts in a full shift and delivers my performance of the year. he was perfectly cast. he has such expressive eyes. olivia cooke, despite her limited screentime, is also great. and i have not seen enough people giving paul raci the credit where credit is due. the scene at the table legit almost brought me to tears.

everything in here is pretty fucking flawless for what i assume is a relatively low budget production.

Matt liked these reviews