Men in Black: International

Men in Black: International ★★★½

I dunno guys, I thought this was pretty alright. I mean it is pretty half-baked and in the end quite anticlimactic, but the cast of this film absolutely saves it. Most of the film is just Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson hanging about and that's not bad entertainment. I like to imagine this is what their real life interactions are like.

I think what makes me forgive the weak material a little more is that the film never seems to take itself all that seriously. The Men in Black franchise was already a series that reveled in its crazy gadgets and diverse aliens, but this film has a hint of James Bond with its world trotting adventures and playful tone. I do agree that a MIB film could absolutely mine a lot of relevant political themes such as immigration and bigotry to make a more substantial, but I sincerely enjoyed this for what it was, in spite of its faults.

Maybe it's just the one-two-three kick in the balls that were Aladdin, Godzilla: KOTM & X-Men: Dark Phoenix that's messed up my tastes, but I enjoyed this one a lot more than I thought I would. Go figure.

Matthew liked these reviews