2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

Before I was a pretentious little movie snob, I saw the “Dawn of Man” scene online and that scene alone blew my 19 year old mind into bits. Then I watched the whole movie...and I don’t think any movie had ever made me so speechless. I didn't think a movie could hit me that hard. I didn’t know film could be this grand, and I certainly didn’t think it could be this ambitious. This movie gave birth to movie-snob-Matt.

2001 is as good as everyone says. Birth, life, consciousness, evolution, survival, technology, progress, exploration, entropy, humanity, the unknown. 2001 tackles everything.  I have literally zero flaws with this movie. I love the pacing. Space is huge, things seem to move pretty slow in space even when a lot is going on therefore, thats how this movie should feel.

This movie is not about individuals, it’s about humanity - so the characters intentionally aren’t fleshed our very much. Naturally, that makes these performances criminally overlooked. These characters seem as normal as HAL is extraordinary. Oh yeah and speaking of HAL, he steals the show.

This movie came out in 1968. For reference so did The Planet of The Apes and Night of The Living Dead. Two classic science fiction(ish) films that I love. That being said, they both look like hot garbage today. 2001 doesn’t. Everything about 2001 on a technical level was done so well that nothing looks aged. The set design is impeccable and feels so real and cohesive with the story. Sure it doesn’t look like an Avengers movie but it looks as crisp and as clean as ever.

No other movie deserves to be called immersive after seeing this. This movie genuinely is an Odyssey. Kubrick is the only director that could have directed this magnum-opus of a film. This is easily the best Sci-Fi movie of all time, there’s no question about that, and I seriously think it may be the greatest film ever made.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Perfect film.