The Irishman

The Irishman ★★★★★

Happy I got the chance to see this in the theater. The film leaves a huge impact and the impact happened to be a little bit bigger on the big screen.

It’s Scorsese’s deconstruction of the gangster film. It has all of the same tropes, themes, and even the same actors from the best gangster films. And yet there’s something much deeper below the surface. My favorite part of the movie is the last 30 minutes or so when Scorsese shows the audience what a life of crime and violence ultimately leads to. And it’s not pretty. Scorsese stresses that this lifestyle, whether early on or by natural causes, always leads to the same place. It’s deeply moving in a way a gangster film has never moved me before.

The de-aging at first was a little jarring, but the fact that the film is three and a half hours gives you more than enough time to adjust to it. After a while I forgot all about it and, even though it’s not perfect, it’s probably the best de-aging I’ve seen in a film.

If you have a chance to see this on the big screen, do it. But if you can’t, watch it on Netflix. Scorsese is at the top of his game as are all of the actors (Pacino particularly shines in his role). This movie HAS to be seen. It DEMANDS to be seen.

Matt Maddock liked this review