2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

(This is not a review, this is a jumbled mess, stream-of-consciousness type thing. My actual review for this film can be found here.)

I tried to write some kind of "2001 Words about 2001: A Space Odyssey" and I got to 500 words before realizing that 1501 more was impossible. Anyways...

I have a friend who (finally) watched this film after all my...recommendations (insistence is probably a bit more accurate) and after having a long discussion (over 60 minutes long) about the film, I was left with an overwhelming desire to rewatch it. (She's gonna watch Eraserhead tonight. Pretty curious to hear what she thinks...)

2001: A Space Odyssey is still the most rewarding film I've ever seen: it constantly unveils new nuances and pieces of sly genius each time I rewatch it (and I've rewatched this arguably more times than any one person should watch any one film). For example: this viewing, I noticed how the film starts by showing us gaining the ability to use tools, and ends by showing us transcending tools completely, a cool piece of parallelism (or, reverse-parallelism to be more accurate) that I never picked up on.

It reels you in slowly, but all the while it never lets go. Stanley Kubrick’s masterpiece, 1968’s masterpiece, sci-fi’s masterpiece, cinema’s masterpiece. And, in case you missed it: masterpiece.

All in all, out of all 2001 words I wanted to write, only one word could truly come close to capturing the experience of 2001: A Space Odyssey: Monolithic.

Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke set out to make the quintessential sci-fi film, but ended up making the all-time essential film.

Michael liked these reviews