Straight Outta Compton ★★★

I am a 34 year old white man. I remember N.W.A, along with 2 Live Crew and the Beastie Boys, among others, being a group that I was not allowed to listen to when I was a kid. Because of this, and the fact that I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, I made sure that I found this music and listened to it behind my parents back. I had no knowledge of the gang violence or police brutality that was happening in California as I was insulated in rural Central Florida.

I just remember the powerful lyrics of Ice Cube in "F*** tha Police" and the infectious beats of Dre on Chronic as my older brother cranked "Nothin' but a G Thang." It's an eye opener to see the origins of these sounds and the motivations behind their message.

I obviously would love to see them have more respect for women but this is a biopic, they are shooting for a reflection of reality and I can't fault them for wanting to show the reality, but they do a great job of building the characters so even people with next to no knowledge of the music can follow the story and are invested. There is A LOT of language so Parental Discretion is obviously highly advised. But it's a compelling story and worth your time especially if you like seeing other perspectives or have any interest in these artists.