Wind River ★★★★½

Taylor Sheridan completes his Modern Western Trilogy and I really hope we get more. He started by writing both Sicario and Hell or High Water, that were the surprising hits of their release years. In Wind River he gets his turn to direct. It's not quite his debut because he does have a low budget horror to his name. But this is definitely his first major directorial feature and it is superb.

I would place this film right in the middle of the two others from the trilogy with Hell or High Water being the best of the three.

This film is as bleak and cold as its setting on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming. The acting from Jeremy Renner in particular was emotional and rich. I hope this attracts Academy attention for him. This is distinctly a Western frontier film. There are well developed characters and beautiful secenery on display as another actor in the film.

It works as a lecture on Civil rights for Native American women as well as a seminar for processing grief. It is ambitious and multi-faceted. At this point, I would watch anything with Sheridan's name attached. He has show himself to be an extremely talented visionary and I'm excited to see where he goes from here.