Ready Player One ★★★

Ready player one definitely has the Spielberg touch, the visual language, the photography (by his long time DP Janis’s Kaminski) and many more subtle things that are part of his movies

The book was really fun, especially for those of us who were teenagers in the 80s. The translation to a screenplay and movie isn’t as interesting but overall I had a good time. The visual effects are really good and just like in the book there are Easter eggs to be found in pretty much every frame. The movie could be 10 to 15 minutes shorter but I guess it would then be difficult to add all those 80s references.

I liked the fact that the young actors were not chosen for their fame or recognition which would’ve taken me out of the movie, but overall their work was good.
The script doesn’t spend much time building their relationships as real people, it’s all related to the adventures they have in The Oasis and I wish it could’ve been closer to the book in that sense.
This is probably as close as any movie was going to get to the book so I think it’s worth checking it out.