The Godfather: Part II

The Godfather: Part II ★★★★★

AFI Top 100 Club
boxd.it/1cOza
Film #3 - The Godfather: Part II

"I don't feel I have to wipe everybody out, Tom. Just my enemies."

The Godfather: Part II accomplishes something remarkable - it manages to feel grand yet also very intimate.

Rewatching this made clear to me how much this has to offer. Whereas on first viewing I was more invested into Michael's saga, this time I particularly enjoyed young Vito's rise to prominence. The two parts compliment each other very well. Both DeNiro and Al Pacino give incredible perfomances.

Interesting to note is also how special and detailed the sets and scenes feel - the car arriving at the snowy estate's gate, Michael confronting Fredo with the backdrop of the cold winter lake or especially the Italy flashback scenes, which Coppola gave a very destinctive and appealing look with the added film grain and bloom.

Also, the hotel scene with Michael and Kay has got to be one of the greatest scenes in cinema history - the perfection of writing and acting made it incredibly impactful.

I've got to admit though, it lost me a bit in the middle-part which is ever so slightly convoluted but then elegantly regained traction (with the Fanucci-job).

Overall, I think The Godfather: Part I is more intricately focused and composed making it the better movie to me. But don't be fooled - this is one of the best sequels ever made and achieves a similar level of excellence as Part I.

MaxMaster172 liked these reviews