Marriage Story ★★★★★

My expectations were high but HOLY FUCKING SHIT. This film has absolutely blown me away and is probably tied as my favourite film of 2019. Noah Baumbach has solidified his place as one of the best writer/directors working today, his scripts and films just feel so fucking human and personal and the dialogue almost feels like the characters are real people. This isn’t the first Noah Baumbach film to focus on family, it’s not even the first to focus on divorce but the whole thing just feels so fresh and original. The camerawork and editing are just incredible, they make the film flow from dramatic scene to dramatic scene with such ease and beauty. The score by Randy Newman is also an amazing touch, it makes all the happy times all the more joyful but harshly juxtaposes with the bad ones and makes them all the more heartbreaking. This is one of the first films in very long time that has made me cry my eyes out, both because it resonates with me on a personal level and because of the pure genius in Baumbach’s writing. I don’t really feel like one review can encapsulate all the love I have for this film and this is only my first watch but it is no doubt an absolute masterpiece. I can’t think of many films that capture the essence of human sadness and happiness the way that this film does. Adam Driver gives what is probably the best performance in his career and the whole cast is just phenomenal. Also this film has one of the best endings in recent memory.  I genuinely can’t wait to watch it over and over and over again.

MaxT26 liked these reviews