Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★★

In the age of Disney remakes and cinematic universes as far as the eye can see Quentin Tarantino brings us a tale set in the dreamland of 1969 LA and the dizzying, never ending party that was the summer of love. A story of a Hollywood star of the past and his loyal stuntman and friend and it’s nothing short of a masterpiece. This film is enchanting from the first frame until the credits roll and I’m decently confident in saying that it is my favourite Tarantino film. Every minute detail is perfectly executed(Kudos to anyone who worked on the set design)to immerse you into the world of the characters. The cinematography is beautiful and manages to give the film a dreamlike feel while still feeling grounded. Tarantino takes something of a detour with this film because it is almost completely character driven, you are introduced to and grow to love these characters without even realising it, it honestly leaves you wanting to live in the world of the film. Tarantino’s writing is impeccable as always but manages to feel different to his other films where we get mundane dialogue filled with subtext, in this film everything feels more intentional and sincere. The Spahn ranch scene is one of Tarantino more tense scenes in his recent films and has a horror esque feeling that I haven’t really seen from Tarantino before and is one of the many new things that he tries in this film. The soundtrack is also perfectly used to immerse you in the world of 1969 LA. The sound design and editing  is refreshingly seamless and really brings a sense of impact to every movement of a character or the camera. In the last 15 minutes or so this film goes full Tarantino and I couldn’t love it more, it’s an extremely satisfying conclusion to this incredible film and it is BAT SHIT INSANE. I won’t spoil the ending for anyone but it’s definitely worth the price of admission. All of the performances are completely charming and convincing, I would say that Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCapprio give career best performances and Margot Robbie is brilliant in the time she is given as Sharon Tate. The minor performances are also very good including but not limited to the appearances of Margaret Qualley, Al Pacino, Timothy Olyphant, Dakota Fanning and Maya Hawke. One thing I was not expecting going into this film is that it is one of if not Tarantino’s funniest films but it still manages to be cinematic and tense. All of the action choreography is very impressive and gives impact to every punch thrown. The western scenes are truly a joy to watch as we see Tarantino imitate the directors he grew up loving so much and seeing Leo repeatedly ask for his lines and proceeding to have a meltdown in his trailer is beyond hilarious. This is truly Tarantino’s love letter to the 60’s and cinema in general and I think everyone should experience it. As it stands I would call this my favourite of the year and will very likely be calling it my favourite Tarantino film from now on. God I love this film.

max liked these reviews