Promising Young Woman

Promising Young Woman ★½

the only thing i liked was when stars are blind by paris hilton played :)

i was content w/ leaving my lil’ quip about paris hilton but after sleeping on this film i woke up feeling even more uncomfortable with it in a way that feels wrong to not talk about. can’t imagine ending a film with my protagonist getting brutally suffocated by a rapist (keep in mind not a single act of violence towards an actual rapist happens in this film) only for her death to be praised as a “haha gotcha!” bit at the end that we’re meant to celebrate. don’t know who this was for. don’t know what it’s trying to say in conversation with sexual assault. so inconsistent in terms of both story and character. stylistic and superbly acted, the makings of a quality production but i just can’t wrap my head around what the fuck is going on here.

like dude. the catharsis from films like this/women using murder as a last resort is because of the frustration with the system repetitively allowing rapists to walk free. but this film doesn’t allow Cassie to kill any man but she herself does die and then the police show up to....take care of everything?!?!? WHAT? EXCUSE ME?!?!? I’m sorry I’m just still so confused by the decisions anybody involved in this film made. Paris Hilton, tho.

mel liked these reviews