2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★½

“I can feel it. I can feel it.”

I've been using some of my extra viewing time in quarantine to knock out classics I've never seen.

Looking through famed director Stanley Kubrick's filmography, I was a bit surprised to realize this was my first viewing of one of his films altogether.

It's truly stunning how many films have referenced or been inspired by this body of work. From Star Wars to Contact, Star Trek to Life. It's clear Kubrick continues to mold generations of science fiction storytellers. That in and of itself is impressive and speaks to this work’s longevity and continued relevancy.

2001: A Space Odyssey is a masterful technical achievement. It is visually stunning. The score is magically menancing. There is an almost indescribable eeriness that pulses throughout the film.

But while it's visually compelling and certainly intriguing, there's table scraps for a narrative. Just enough to string your interest along, but I felt nearly every minute of that runtime.

I understand why this film is revered by generations of cinephiles. More than that, it's almost required viewing so that one can fully appreciate the vastness in which Kubrick's vision of space has inspired countless cinematic contributions.

I'm glad I took the time to come to that understanding and appreciation, but I don't think I'll be rewatching.

Block or Report